Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday Morning Coffee

Observation of the Week -  Oh How I love my job.....

Professionally, I love what I do.  Actually, before I started blogging I thought being in real estate investments was my life's calling.  Now, I'm thinking I should go to Hollywood and write sitcoms or comedic screenplays.  However, that's a story for another day.  Back to my current job - as much as I love what I do, my current company leaves a lot to be desired.  Yes, there is my alpha male boss who comedic value is almost off the charts, but as you will learn that is a tough proposition sometimes.  I know some of you have asked me about him.  Stay tuned later this week - you'll be introduced to the animal that is my boss. 

So my job, every month we have this bullsh*t company-wide meeting that is a complete waste of time and accomplishes nothing.  It is not of the 30 minute variety either.  This meeting lasts anywhere from 90 to 120 minutes; it is a microcosm of everything that is wrong at my job.  That all said, things are about to get infinitely better at this meeting.  The boredom and monotony of this meeting leads to a lot of people "nodding-off."  There are some who just straight-up close their eyes for one, two, sixteen minutes at a time.  Then there are others who have the classic "head bob" where the head falls forward or back far enough that the person suddenly wakes-up and their head snaps right back-up.  Others are more sneaky about it by pretending to look down at their blackberry or note pad, but really their eyes are closed trying to catch a few ZZZs during the meeting.  So in order to liven things up, during last Thursday's meeting two fellow co-workers and myself observed all of our colleagues during the meeting to see which co-workers were guilty of "nodding-off." I figure this was better than trying to skip the meeting like it was third period French.  Now that we know who is doing what, we are putting odds on everybody, so we can start betting on which co-worker will nod-off the most during next month's meeting.  The early favorite is "'Los".  He is probably going-off at even money.  'Los has an uncanny ability of pulling off all three sleeping moves during the same meeting.  He really is amazing to watch.  In many ways, 'Los is a can't miss pick.  He very well could be the Secretariat of this race and win next month's meeting by 31 lengths.  That said, there are a couple sleepers out there, so you never know. Next month's meeting just got a whole lot more interesting though.  Wow, this is what my job has come to - trying to pick a winner like it's the eighth race at Saratoga.  That's probably not a good thing.

Real Men (and Women) of Genius -

I'm adding a new segment to Monday Morning Coffee - Real Men and Women of Genius.  I'm sure you all have heard those Bud Light commercials - Real Men of Genius.  "You put the 'ogie' in 'boogie', Mr. Really Really Really Bad Dancer."  (check it out - Really Really Really Bad Dancer). Or my personal favorite Mr. Pro Sports Heckler Guy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0MbVYVE2A

My segment is more geared towards identifying those who really are thinking outside the box. Now since the inception of the blog, I have gotten a lot of requests about how to make the blog.  "Sean, OMG, when are you going to mention me in the blog?"  "Sean, bro, I want you to talk about me in your blog."  Well, send me stuff like this and you will make the blog.  Nick is not even in the Western Hemisphere and he managed to send me some quality material.  Nick met two bloaks from London in Zambia.  These two guys are Real Men of Genius.  Here is Nick's email...

"Wanted to share a story though about a couple of inovators I met the other day. These guys had a great thing going and I thought you'd appreciate it. They were two British guys with two British girls. Seemed perfectly normal, until the one guy tells me they are in Zambia for a long weekend. I thought that was an awfully long, expensive trip from London for a long weekend. That's when he showed me the way...
 
The two girls were British Airways flight attendants. These guys met them (independent of each other, so in fact they're both men of genious) and flew down on BA at the crew rate. It was an empty flight, so they got bumped up to first class. Once here, they stayed with the girls at their hotel, a fancy place in town where the BA crew spends a few short days before doing the turnaround flight. In addition, the local BA representative was their driver all weekend so I heard this whole story while we all were about an hour outside of the city on a safari, having a few beers. These guys spent $150 for the whole show.
 
Apparently the thing to do here is to memorize the flight schedules and start hanging around the Intercontinental Hotel...."

This kind of innovation is truly inspiring.  This is dedication to the game - memorizing flight schedules in order to meet women and travel to exotic places on the cheap.  Simply incredible.  Here's to you "Mr. I only Date Airline Attendants."  Thank you Nick for sharing their story.  People, follow Nick's example and send me some quality stuff to blog about.  Also, doing ridiculous things really increases your chances of blogability.  

So, I have been getting some texts and calls about wanting more posts.  Remember people, I need to go out and create the magic necessary for quality blog material.  At the same time, I do not want to disappoint fans of the blog, so I will try to increase the number of weekly posts.  On Tuesday, you will be introduced to my Alpha Male boss.  And Thursday, I will say good-bye to a good friend.  Until then.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment