Sorry for the delay in this week’s Morning Coffee. Unforeseen events took place this week. Basically, a smashed driver-side front window can complicate your week especially considering it is not even your car. No worries Nick’s Silver Bullet will be as good as new this afternoon. Back to the good stuff…..
Spin Class
Yes that’s right, spin class is back on the docket. Things have really come full circle for me. Just six weeks ago I was flirting with a Norwegian girl. She was checking me out. I was checking her out. It was all good. Of course, I completely boffed up the entire thing. (Editor’s note: boff = f*ck) As I continue my pursuit at being the best at exercise, I have a new mate in my spin class. His name is “Peter.” My friend, Pete, and I had our first man date Wednesday night at the 6pm Spin Class at the Y. Yes, that’s right I now go to spin class with another dude. Pete is training for a bike to the beach charity event at the end of July, so we will be hitting the bike together on a weekly basis. I think this will turn out quit nicely for me as I use Pete’s good looks and charm as bait for any new prospects in the evening spin classes. Pete is in a serious long-term relationship, but he kind of looks like Justin Timberlake, which makes him a great wing man for Spin Class.
Facebook
I know one of these days I’m going to give-in and join Fbook. Before I started THE Sean Sullivan Blog, I was all ready to join Fbook and then I read this post about Facebook on Carly’s blog. As a result, I didn’t join Facebook, but that worked out quit well because THE Sean Sullivan Blog was born. Time has worn on and I thought I was ready to make the leap and be all hip and cool with a sick Facebook page. And then this happened….
Let’s start with a little background. Back in February, I met this girl at Happy Hour. Actually check that, Manifesto Mike met two girls at Happy Hour. You all remember Manifesto Mike? Manifesto Mike, Andrew (friend/co-worker), and I quickly made small talk with these two lovely ladies, “Sonia and Elena.” Well that’s not exactly true either. Andrew bought shots and then we made small talk. I have to admit I wasn’t all that interested at first. The conversation was mundane and I wasn’t really feeling it. As the conversation wore on, Andrew and Sonia realized they went to the same school and started to play the name game. “Oh do you know so and so…?” Well the problem with the name game is the truth comes out. “Sonia and Elena” are actually “Megan and Stephanie.” Yes, that’s right we were fake named. In reality, Manifesto Mike was actually fake named and then we were caught in their web of deceit. Once we realized we were lied to, my attitude towards these two ladies completely changed. I was totally into it! Getting fake named is one thing, but finding out you got faked named is totally hot. Making sh*t-up is awesome. Usually nothing good comes up although stay tuned later for the Real Men of Genius because sometimes it really does work out. Anyway, I ended up hitting it off with the Elena in this story and we exchanged phone numbers.
Since this Happy Hour encounter in mid-February, I have not seen Elena once. We totally have this text relationship where we make plans to meet up every once in a while, but it never works out. We love to play the “Come to this bar” game. Really at this point it has gone from a game to a challenge. It’s like how long can we keep this text thing going without ever actually following through. Let’s be honest, it is probably never going to happen, which is cool, but I’m definitely trying to keep the texting alive for at least a full year. So how does this relate to Facebook? Here’s how. Not too long ago, I received this text from “Elena”…..
“So funny story…I tried to facebook u but ended up facebooking the wrong Sean from [your high school] and now he won’t stop sending me creepy messages. Hahaha. Oops.”
Haha Elena. This is so funny. Actually no, this is not funny. We had a great thing going with our little text game and now you had to go and ruin it by trying to find me on Facebook. Well, I’m not on Facebook because I don’t need people stalking me. And look now you are stuck with some creep who gives “Seans” a bad name. Good luck with Stalker Sean. As for me, it looks like the Facebook plunge will have to wait a little longer…..
Real Men (and Women) of Genius –
People love to make stuff up when they go out. Using different names is always very popular. Joey on Friends had Ken Adams. George on Seinfeld has Art Vandalay. I recommend sticking to one “other” name. You start using too many names it just gets confusing. I have one friend he has a go to name and it works like a charm – “hi, I’m Trent Rifle…” I love the back story, I have been everything from an up and coming PGA Tour Star to part of a group of friends in town supporting their friend who just got left at the alter. Most of these stories start off strong. People are interested and it makes for great conversation. As fun as all these stories are, they almost always fall apart by the end of the night usually a result of giving too much detail and probably too many drinks. Needless to say, most situations don’t end well; however, if done correctly it just might work out….
This story comes via Bill, a good friend of mine. Bill had a high school friend, “Scott”, who took a shot at playing professional hockey. Scott bounced the around minor leagues for several years before hanging-up the skates for a suit and the 9-5 routine. For someone who was trying to live the NHL dream, I’m sure this was not the most thrilling prospect, but probably the most practical one. Not to get into too much, but Scott landed an insurance sales job in Richmond, VA. He only knew a few people and managed to make the well-known Tobacco Company his go to spot. In the process, he made friends with several waitresses at the bar.
Instead of being honest about his current position in insurance, Scott decided he was a children’s book author. That’s right, Scoot wrote books for children for a living. Of course this makes total sense a former minor league hockey turned insurance sales associate really means I write kiddie books. Ok wait, that makes no sense at all, but there is the beauty in a made up back-story. As his story goes, he would write books and then travel around the country to schools to promote his new books. Clearly, Scott was going with the sensitive angle here. While I don’t know Scott personally, this seems like a tough pull. Well, it worked because Scott was able to lure-in one of the waitresses. Wait, it gets better. Scott kept the author routine going and the two started casual dating. The best part of Scott’s back-story was the “book tours” helped to explain the travel he was doing for his actual job. But like in all romantic comedies aka rom-coms that involve lies and deception there comes a turning point and in this real life tale Scott realized how much he really liked this chick. After a solid 3-4 months of being the John Grisham of kiddie books, Scott was stuck. Ditch the girl or tell the truth? He decided to man up and come clean to the girl. So how does it end?
The two are married and currently live in Boston. I bet you didn’t see that one coming. I know I didn't when I first heard the story. In the end, I’m not sure how in the world Scott kept the charade up for several months. From my past experience, made-up stories last several hours at best. Scott is a master of the craft and is worthy of the Real Man of Genius. He has inspired me to come up with my own great story. So Scott here’s to you “Mr. I Don’t Really Write Children’s Books” Guy.
Have a great weekend everybody. I have a busy week next week, but I will try to get at least one or two posts up on the blog.
Poor Elena must have neglected to include the superlative article "the" when trying to cyber-stalk you. what a twit.
ReplyDelete