Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Help Wanted

You think you find true love.  You buy a condo with your college roommate.  You buy a flat screen TV and entertainment system together.  You share the bills.  Hang some art.  There are good times and tough times, but it's all worth it.  You really are life partners.  And then you catch the early flight home from San Diego.... and he's moving in with his girlfriend????  Moving in with the girlfriend? Reeaally?? Reeaally?? Yes for those of you who don't know, my life partner, "Marph", is leaving our current crib for co-habitation with his girlfriend and is probably t-minus 3 years from the 'burbs, a mini van, and 2.5 kids.  Best of luck Marph.

So his life changing decision left me with a major dilemma. I could stay at our current haven and run the risk of getting another craig's lister who only eats cereal, continuously watches Family Guy and Two and a Half Men, plays on the internet for 12-14 hours a day, and laughs like a dying animal or move out and rent the entire place.  Having experienced "Jonathan 1.0" with his 15 boxes of cereal and painful laugh I chose the latter.  So at the end of June, I will be moving out of my current abode and moving into the next great pad.  That's where you, the readers, come in. I need your help.  I need your wisdom and guidance.  What's the next move?

Option #1
I have been offered a great room in a nice neighborhood a short distance from my current location.  The house is spacious and in many ways all that I need.  A good friend of mine, "Billy", owns the house and is looking for a new roommate.  As luck would have it, I am also friends with his current roommate, "Wine Stain", who would continue to live there if I moved-in.  The situation could not be better - great house, awesome roommates, and a decent location.  I'm sure you are wondering what the dilemma is.  That leads us to...

Option #2
Moving back home.  Yes! Book it!  Besides the obvious financial benefit of living at home, my blogger "street cred" would be off the charts.  As my friend Nick pointed out, nothing fits the blogger stereotype more than living in your parent's basement.  And this isn't the usual basement.  My old/new room is in the laundry room.  Yes, my twin bunk beds share space with the washer and dryer.  How many Star Trek bloggers can say that?  Probably not many.  The blog world would be envious of my situation.

The downside to this option is my social life.  Yes, my blogger status would be completely enhanced, but the blog life is virtual.  At the end of the day, I'm all about real life.  As I push towards my late 20s, a basement, a new whirlpool dryer, and bunk beds could be a tough sell with the ladies.  That said, this could be the ultimate challenge as I try to balance the ultimate blog life with the ultimate bachelor life.  Think about it.  I would no longer just be harnessing my Inner LeBron.  I would be harnessing something even greater. I would be like Steve Jobsof Apple meets Matthew McConaughey in Failure to Launch.  It would be amazing and although it is risky I would relish the opportunity to make it happen. 

So cast vote or a comment.  Help me make this important decision.

Don't worry the morning coffee will be back tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I woke up in the bunk beds not long ago, it was a happy place. Conveniently close to Steak and Egg too...

    ReplyDelete