
The much anticipated The Hangover opened this past weekend. I promised myself I wouldn't completely pump-up this movie in my blog. So here it goes. The movie is pretty good. It has a few good laughs. It is a great film for a rainy Saturday afternoon. Okay wait, I can't do this. This movie was fu*king awesome! It was totally worth seeing the first show at 12:01am on Thursday evening/Friday morning. Sharing this experience on the ultimate man date with five other dudes made the movie that much better. Seriously, stop what you are doing right now and go see it. Not only did I laugh a lot, I found myself crying I was laughing so hard. I give this movie an entire solar system of stars it was that amazing. You will literally laugh your a$$ off. The over/under on return trips to the theatre to watch it again is 2.5. So if you haven't seen it, then I will go with you. Plenty of my trademark laugh is almost guaranteed.
With that, this post is dedicated to The Hangover and everything that is bachelor parties.
I will spare the details for those who have not had the pleasure of seeing the movie yet. As you can imagine, the movie is an examination and celebration of the great rite of passage known as the bachelor party. Much like the wedding business, the bachelor party was grown over the years. It used to be one last night out with all the fellas before tying the knot. These days the bachelor party has become an epic event that is supposed to stand above all others. They are no longer one last night out, but a weekend, or even a week of male debauchery. Bachelor parties have been stereotyped as a "boys will be boys" event where ridiculous and borderline disgusting things take place. Yes some participants probably help the strippers "count their money" in the bathroom and others learn about Daisy's life story all the while thinking they are working it even though all Daisy wants is to give a lap dance, collect tips, and move on. As disgusting as this might be, ladies are just as guilty as men, except they are usually participating in tacky matching tee-shirts and the bride-to-be is wearing some sort of tiara or vale to announce her upcoming nuptials. For you ladies reading this blog please don't do this crap. It is lame. In the end, this may be one of our society's double standards because bachelorette parties are not viewed in the same light. Well, I am here to tell you they are exactly the same. Here's the proof...
Three weeks ago, I received an email from a friend recounting a story from Memorial Day weekend at a beach down South. His crew of friends not only crashed a bachelorette party, but his buddy somehow managed to hook-up with the bachelorette herself. As a result of their encounter, the actual wedding was now uncertain. The story in itself is ridiculous; however, the very same weekend two crazy kids were doing their thing, two others were getting married. Where did these two meet? Wait, you guessed it - at her bachelorette party! In this story, the girl actually went through with her wedding, all the while wanting something from the man at the bachelorette party, eventually divorced her husband, and finally connected with her new man. In this story guy #2 was smart, there was no bachelorette party for his girl the second time around. Good thinking there.
In the history of bachelor parties, have guys been guilty of the same thing? Yes. Do I know any personally? No not yet. There is always a chance I will hear similar accounts of some dude doing the same thing. In the end, both guys and girls want to go out with a bang and sometimes things go a little too far. It's cool though just make sure you have way too much to drink because it doesn't count if you don't remember it.
Real Men (and Women) of Genius
No big talk story this time around. Tonight eight of us will attempt to pull-off a mid-week bachelor party. A co-worker is getting married this weekend and this is the only night he has left before the big day. Luckily, this is DC and there are thousands of interns who go out every night, so this should be a good one even though it is a Tuesday. Hopefully, it is epic, but you know it will be incredible in the very least. No lie tomorrow is going to hurt.

No comments:
Post a Comment