In today's world, we are connected in so many different ways that it could make your head spin. I mean there is email and cell phones and text messaging and instant messaging and Facebook and MySpace. I mean seriously there is an array of options to stay connected with people these days. With all the technological advances in communication, one simple part of the dating game is quickly dying. The art of talking on the phone is all but dead. Talking on the phone is lost on many people in their 20s. I can't even tell you how many chicks I have met who can't carry a conversation on the phone. I'm not even talking old school 9th grade style where you would talk to a girl on the phone for hours. I'm referring to a little small talk and setting-up a date. Doing this on the phone in today's game is almost painful. People have become so reliant on texting, email, and blackberry messenger that doing any talking on the phone almost seems obsolete.
I realize I probably sound like an old man complaining about today's youth as if the world has passed him by, but I'm concerned citizen of the game. I honestly think this is a huge a problem. And the younger the chick the worse it is. Any chick born after 1987 probably doesn't even realize you can use your cell phone to actually talk to people. All they know is texting and instant messaging. A girl who I went out with a couple times once told me, "my roommate thinks you must like me because you called instead of texted." How sad is that? Calling a girl on the phone now equates to something more than seeing if she wants to go grab a drink sometime. Before you know it, you won't even have to show-up for the date. You can text your way through the whole thing. I have actually heard stories about people going out multiple times and never talking on the phone once. That truly amazes me. Yes, there might be an awkward pause or two on the phone sometimes, but isn't it better to get that out of the way on phone? Then it's smooth sailing once you actually go out.
Guy are culpable here as well. I know too many guys who rely on texting to make their way in with chicks. Don't get wrong. I'm all for dropping a line via text - "hey, I had fun last night. Let's hang out soon" or "God, you're hot" or "Seriously I want you right now." Okay, maybe I have never used one of those lines, but that sh*t is deadly and can be a great prelude to AN ACTUAL PHONE CALL. Dudes, when you want to go out with a chick pick-up the phone and call. Don't be a little b*tch and opt for the text. And please don't let me scare you either with "all chicks are terrible on the phone." Recently, I have met a few girls who are very good with the cell, which gives me hope the art of talking on the phone is not completely dead.
I'll be back again on Friday with a Dating Phenomenon.
The Dating Game Series
Intro
While Away the Hours
12 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment