Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Game Changer

I know once again I have managed to be MIA on the blog. The last few months have been interesting to say the least. Yes, the excuses range from being too busy at work (lame) to crushing it at a whole bunch of weddings (awesome), but really I have been mulling over one very BIG decision. First a little background, THE Sean Sullivan has been without a car for quite a while now. It has been years since I have pushed my own ride. If I absolutely needed a car, I mostly piggy backed off friends to get where I am going or free loaded off the 'rents. More than either of those, I have grown even more urban by utilizing public transportation all-the-time, especially the bus. The bus has become THE Sean Sullivan's calling card so-to-speak (in more ways than one). Yes, for the last few years I have used the bus to get to work, the bar, a date, or really anywhere I need to go in the city. I know timetables, bus routes, the good routes, the bad routes - I got that sh*t down.

Here's the kicker though. The bus has been a total money maker in the dating game. Who knew bus knowledge would be so useful when it comes to the ladies? I am sure you are wondering how this all works. Well, I kind of stumbled on this play by accident, but it is totally awesome. Now after a slumber party with a lady, it is customary for her to do some sort of walk of shame to a cab or maybe if you are a gentlemen you'll drive her home. Of course, for the past few years I haven't even had a chance to answer to the question, "can you drive me home?" because I have been without a car. Amazingly, I have been able to overcome this fact by taking said lady for a cup coffee and some sort of pastry or breakfast sandwich only to use my knowledge of the bus system to put her on the proper bus home. Yes, you read that correctly. No ride home. No cab. Not even the subway. YES, I PUT SAID LADIES ON THE BUS TO GET HOME. Of course, one would think this is my ultimate undoing and I am never hearing from said ladies again. Well, you would be wrong because apparently it only enhances the appeal. It works 100% percent of the time every time. They love it or at least they say they love it. It doesn't even matter because I definitely hear from said ladies again.

That leads me to my current dilemma. Life is becoming more and more difficult without my own automobile. With my job now outside the city limits, commuting is more cumbersome and time consuming. Plus, I can't always rely on Mom's ride to get to golf or my brother's broke a$$ jeep to tailgate at Redskins game. At the same time, getting a car would totally ruin my street cred with what has become THE Sean Sullivan trademark - coffee and a bus token. Of course, I could lie to the ladies and put them on the bus anyway, but it's not the same. There was something genuine and real about it when I didn't have a car. It would just feel cheap and lame if I actually had a car and still put them on the bus.

So I finally decided to take the plunge and get a car. Now not any car would do. I need a new game changer. I need something over-the-top. I mean come on. If I'm going to retire the bus move or at least put it on the shelf for a while, then I am going to need something awesome to replace it. There is only one acceptable answer that meets all my golf and tailgating needs while also being mildly ostentatious - A RANGE ROVER. BOOK IT! I'm locking it down on Friday. BOO-YEAH!


2 comments:

  1. Which part?? It doesn't even matter because I am definitely not playing....

    ReplyDelete